The volunteers of the Colorado Railroad Museum are an important and dedicated group crucial to our operations, archives, educational programs and visitor experience. Volunteers play an important role in helping to tell Colorado’s narrow-gauge history and the impact of the railways on the development of our great centennial state. Whether it’s helping run our large fundraising events such as Day Out With Thomas and The Polar Express, working behind the scenes of a new exhibit, or inspiring school kids to explore railroad history, we have a variety of opportunities to use your special skills to bring the Colorado Railroad Museum to life.
2020 Day Out With Thomas
It’s official! Colorado Railroad Museum is now ready to start scheduling volunteer shifts for Day Out With Thomas! This event has been imperative to the museums success for 18 years and this year is more important than ever. We are seeking nearly 30 volunteers each day to help with Guest services, Line Management, Greeting and Information and Merchandise. We also have positions available before the event to help with merchandise inventory, will call ticket organization, banner hanging and barrio placement as well as tear down.
To encourage participation, we offer water, snacks and a lunch voucher for each 5 hours shift at the event. We will also provide you with documentation of your service for your records and invite you to our Thomas appreciation party in October.
Morning (7:30AM-12:30PM) and Afternoon (12:15PM-5:15PM)
• Saturday & Sunday, September 12 & 13
• Saturday & Sunday, September 19 & 20
• Saturday & Sunday, September 26 & 27
It’s going to be a whole new ball game this year as the event has to comply with all Jeffco COVID regulations AND be a fun & safe event for our families, volunteers, and staff. Some of the ways we are creating a safe event are:
• The event will take place entirely outdoors.
• Mask requirements for all visitors 3 and older, volunteers, and staff.
• Temperature checks will be performed on all volunteers and staff.
• Creating a one-directional traffic flow from arrival to departure.
• Surface Cleaning on a 45-minute cycle throughout the day.
• No hands-on activity, imagination, or tattoo stations.
• Plexiglas barriers at all interaction stations (cashier and will call)
• Stanchions with 6ft markers to keep visitors socially distanced.
• All hands-off entertainment (stilt walkers, jugglers, magicians, etc.)
Our event will look a little different this year:
• We are not using shuttles or busses for the event. We have reduced the capacity of the event substantially and are going to use the parking on site for our visitors. This means that our volunteer parking onsite will be extremely limited and coordination with other members is required. (ex. # spaces for DGRS, # spaces for operations). We are encouraging groups of volunteers to park at Compass Montessori and carpool to the museum.
• We will have socially distanced line management throughout the site and volunteers will be needed to help remind our guests of the safety protocols and direct our patrons to the proper locations.
• The event will take place entirely outdoors. Our indoor locations will be closed to the public for anything other than guest services, restrooms and first aid.
If you are able to help us run this event, please let me know as soon as possible. You can sign up for a shift using the One-Time Event Volunteer Application Below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.
Thank you for spreading the word.
One-Time Event Volunteers
The Colorado Railroad Museum depends on dozens of one-time event volunteers to sign up for events such as Day Out With Thomas and The Polar Express Train Ride. Volunteers can sign up for individual 5 hour shifts, or participate as a group.
- Must be at least 16 years of age (12-15 if accompanied by an adult)
- Interested in working with the public, children and families
- Willing to adhere to general volunteer safety standards and codes of conduct
Benefits of becoming a One-Time Volunteer at CRRM
- The opportunity to learn more about Colorado’s unique railroad history
- Meet and work with diverse groups of people
- Have fun
To Apply Fill out a One-Time Event Volunteer Application
Regular Active Volunteers
To keep the Colorado Railroad Museum steaming on, we are seeking out volunteers who would like to participate on a regular or long-term basis. These advanced positions involve additional interviews, training and schedule commitments.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Commit to 84 hours of volunteer service a year
- Adhere to general volunteer safety standards and codes of conduct
Benefits of becoming a regular Volunteer at CRRM
- A Hostler Membership Colorado Railroad Museum
- A monthly online volunteer newsletter, RailFriends
- Annual volunteer recognition events
- Gaining knowledge and expertise on Colorado’s Railroad history
- Meeting and working with a diverse group of people
To Apply Fill out an Adult Volunteer Application
To learn more about available volunteer positions please email the Museum Volunteer Coordinator or call 720 274-5145.
Current Volunteer Resources
• CRRM Cardinal Safety Rules for all Volunteers (2018)
• CRRM Safety Rules, 1.0 – May 6, 2018
• CRRM Consolidated Op, AB, MOW Rules, 1.0 May 6, 2018
• CRRM – Employee/Volunteer Timetable No. 3, May 6, 2018
• CRRM GO No 1-May 6, 2018
• CRRM GO No. 2, November 6-2018
• CRRM Monthly Hours of Service Record (Rev. 2019)