Dinosaur Express Train
Saturday, July 19
Fresh Tracks through Prehistory
Ride and discover the Dinosaur Express Train at the Colorado Railroad Museum on Saturday, July 19, 2014. The Museum is open from from 9:00AM – 5:00PM, rides & activities are available from 10:00AM – 4:00PM.
Colorado railroads helped unearth many fossils as railroad tracks were laid. Construction crews often exposed these unusual and fascinating bones as they were digging and laying railroad ties. Trains were then used to transport these ‘stone bones’ to museums around Colorado and throughout the U.S.
Make “Fresh Tracks through Prehistory” as children enjoy dino-related activities like:
- Participating in scavenger hunts
- Painting casts of a dinosaur footprint to take home
- Sifting through loose sand to find, identify and take home free small fossils like shark teeth
- Panning for gold and minerals such as fool’s gold (pyrite), amethyst, rose quart and peridot
- Cracking geodes
- Sluicing for Gems, Minerals and Fossils
- Learning about dinosaur eggs and nests
Be greeted by multiple dinosaurs whose skeletons have been found all along the Front Range.
Follow the dinosaur tracks around the Museum’s 15-acre railyard and listen to the adventurous stories of these prehistoric reptiles during our dinosaur storytime. Train rides depart every 30 minutes between 10:00AM and 4:00PM and are included in the price of admission.
Museum Members and Children under 2 are free, Children $5, Adults $15, Seniors $10 and Families $30.
Purchase Tickets Today. Online ticket sales are available until the scheduled event start time. Once an event begins tickets must be purchased on-site in the Colorado Railroad Museum Depot General Store.