July 20, 2013 Saturday
Fresh Tracks through Prehistory
Ride and discover the Dinosaur Express Train on Saturday, July 20 at the Colorado Railroad Museum from 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
Colorado railroads helped unearth many fossils as railroad tracks were laid. Construction crews often exposed these unusual and fascinating bones as they were digging and laying railroad ties. Trains were then used to transport these ‘stone bones’ to museums around Colorado and throughout the U.S.
Make “Fresh Tracks through Prehistory” as children enjoy dino-related activities like:
- Participating in scavenger hunts
- Painting casts of a dinosaur footprint to take home
- Sifting through loose sand to find, identify and take home free small fossils like shark teeth
- Panning for gold and minerals such as fool’s gold (pyrite), amethyst, rose quart and peridot
- Cracking geodes
- Sluicing for Gems, Minerals and Fossils
- Learning about dinosaur eggs and nests
Be greeted by multiple dinosaurs whose skeletons have been found all along the Front Range.
Follow the dinosaur tracks around the Museum’s 15-acre railyard and listen to the adventurous stories of these prehistoric reptiles during our dinosaur storytime. Train rides depart every 30 minutes between 10:00AM and 4:00PM and are included in the price of admission.
Child Under 2: Free
Child (2-15): $5
Adult (16-59): $15
Senior (60+): $10